Thursday 9 February 2012

Campus Computing

Can you imagine going a week without a computer? Do you think it is even possible?

Unfortunately, last week I had to find out the hard way that it was. I found this out after accidentally destroying my hard drive (whoops) on my 4 year old MacBook. Through this week without a computer I learned a few important things about computing on the University of Michigan campus.

Firstly, I learned that it is possible to not have a computer. I live in a campus Residence Hall, which is lucky for me because all Residence Halls contain what is called a Community Learning Center (CLC). These sites are open 24/7 to residents of the building and are stocked with computers, printers, and during the day support offices. The CLC was where I spent most of my time doing work this past week.

Secondly, I learned a little more about the campus Computer Showcase (yes, this is the same place you got your i>clicker). There are two Computer Showcases on campus; one is located in the basement of the Michigan Union and one is in Pierpont Commons on North Campus. The showcase is an authorized Apple and Dell service provider (including repair services and sales). The showcase offeres not-for-profit academic pricing on both hardware and software, which means it would cost the same as (and in the case of software often less than) the educational discount at most stores. The difference is that the computer showcase is much closer than the local Apple store. The one thing to note about the computer showcase is that they offer three year warranties that are bundled into the price of the computers (these are the exact same warrantees you would purchase from the manufacturer and will work in all the same places). You must buy it with this warrantee, however, which might make it a tad more expensive than you want. I found, that after having to visit the showcase several times over the past years for various broken parts, I was happy to pay for the warrantee (Apple's Apple Care).

The Computer Showcase was able to both diagnose the problem with my computer (for free) and they offered to repair it for a fee. After a week of hemming and hawing over whether to replace an old hard drive or purchase a new machine, I was able to walk right in and purchase the computer and all the necessary accessories on the spot.

The take away from this experience, besides being careful about where you perch your MacBook (even 2 feet may be too high up), the University of Michigan is certainly friendly to those of all computer needs. Whether you need a question answered or a brand new machine the Computer Showcase can get you what you need and while you are waiting there are more than enough computer resources around campus to get you going.

The resources mentioned in this post are the Community Learning Center and the Computer Showcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment