Tuesday 21 February 2012

Friday Night - UMix

Imagine, its 12:30 AM on a Friday night (or I suppose Saturday morning), you are strapped for cash and you don't want to travel far to find food. Then you remember, you are in luck, UMix is tonight! No joke, this actually happened to me last week. 

What is UMix you ask? UMix is a series of late night activities, usually on Friday night from 10 pm - 2 am, put on by the University Center for Campus Involvement and the University Unions. UMix is held in Unions all over campus (mostly the Union on central or Pierpont on North). Many freshman will mock it as a lame alternative to partying on a Friday night, as a senior I will say I have made fun of it my fair share. That is, however, before I actually checked it out. I clearly did not know what I was missing. Developed as an alternative to drinking, UMix offeres activities such as arts and crafts, billiards, video games, movies, dances etc. I have even seen things such as karaoke and bumper cars. Oh, and did I mention the FOOD?! 

UMix is also differently themed every night. Last weekend was "UMix: Share the Love" where you could do things such as make Valentines Day cards for children at Mott's Children's Hospital as well as play the "roommate game" to test your knowledge of your friends. I had a lot of fun at this one! 
Share the Love
Center for Campus Involvement

Last weekend was "UMix on Ice" where they constructed an ice rink on North Campus! They had free skate rentals, a hot chocolate station, make-your-own snow globes, a screening of "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy" and more! Oh, and Food. 

UMix on Ice
Center for Campus Involvement
A lot of students will make jokes that the thing to do is to beat the system, to drink and then go to UMix. While I do not encourage this, I do encourage everyone to check out the night. If for no other reason than you are bored, hungry, or wanting to play free billiards, it certainly is a great activity for a Friday night!

For more information on UMix and a schedule of events check out the Center for Campus Involvement here

No comments:

Post a Comment